If someone has requested to observe you, begin with the observer packet:
And review the following requirements:
- Prior approval from the clinic or hospital management must be granted prior to observing.
- All observers must check in, show identification and have a completed observer packet before proceeding into patient care areas.
- The patient must provide consent before an observer is allowed into the patient room for a procedure or exam. This consent must be documented in the patient’s chart.
- Only one observer may be in any room at a time to limit congestion. (Unless prior arrangements have been made with clinic management.)
- If a procedure is performed, the staff nurse, CMA/RMA and staff physician may use their discretion when allowing an observer to remain throughout the procedure.
- The observer may not be in the exam/procedure room until after the patient gives consent.
- If there is a complication in the procedure/clinic visit, the staff nurse or staff physician may ask the observer to leave the room.